Re: Temporary Tablespaces in 9i

From: Howard J. Rogers <howardjr2000_at_yahoo.com.au>
Date: Fri, 15 Nov 2002 03:54:45 +1100

"Chevron Oracle Dude" <gwlu_at_chevron.com> wrote in message news:43b16c07.0211140802.5a482159_at_posting.google.com...
> Can someone tell me what the steps are for moving a tempfile in Oracle
> 9i. Oracle changes are so frustrating. Haven't they heard of
> intuitiveness or command prompting when they make changes.

They're only frustrating because (a) they're new and (b) you don't know how to do it.
And no, this isn't SQL Server.

The steps you require are:

create temporary tablespace TEMP2 tempfile 'c:\somwehere\blah\temp2.dbf' size xM;
alter database default temporary tablespace TEMP2; drop tablespace TEMP including contents and datafiles;

In other words, you don't mess around trying to move tempfiles. You simply get rid of them, and create them someplace new.

As a rule of thumb, I've discovered over the years that any time I start to slag off a product, it's usually me and my approach that needs fixing, and not the product.

Regards
HJR Received on Thu Nov 14 2002 - 10:54:45 CST