Re: db_block_size = 16K inflates tables

From: ivan vasquez <ivan_at_itos.uga.edu>
Date: Wed, 13 Nov 2002 12:04:17 -0500

You are right! I was specifying segment space management auto, and that causes the inflation. I would expect that to be the default, but according to the documentation it is not. I imagine the growth will slow down after it reaches certain point (??) It is still not clear to me why auto is not recommended in this case...

Thank you!
Ivan.

"Richard Foote" <richard.foote_at_bigpond.com> wrote in message news:zkgA9.75515$g9.212480_at_newsfeeds.bigpond.com...
> Hi Ivan,
>
> I think your "problem" is not associated block size but with the fact you
> are using ASSM. It doesn't insert data in the traditional 'from left to
> right' method but will 'select' an appropriate block from the bitmap
matrix
> and insert the row. As such, these gaps are an issue if you wish to insert
> an initial small number of rows.
>
> Try without ASSM and see how many blocks Oracle uses. You will be pleased
> with the results.
>
> Cheers
>
> Richard
> "ivan vasquez" <ivan_at_itos.uga.edu> wrote in message
> > Hi,
> >
> > I just installed a 9.2.0 instance for GIS applications (ESRI ArcSDE).
The