Re: Free E-mail Server

From: Dale Edgar <Dale_at_DataBee.com>
Date: Mon, 11 Nov 2002 12:23:33 +0000 (UTC)

Hi Ian

On 9 Nov 2002 11:28:44 -0800, in comp.databases.oracle.server you wrote:

>Users are registered at username_at_crampton-pym-lewis.co.uk, which is
>the forwarded to our isp freeserve so the address becomes
>username_at_c-p-l.fsnet.co.uk. Users cannot connent directly to this
>account without downloading other peoples e-mail. Unless E-mail
>filtering is installed. This is a lengthy process as when a new user
>arrives, I have to log on to all the User accounts and change the
>filtering list. A free e-mail server would be a simple answer so that
>I would only make one change, istead of potentially 20!!

So why forward all users to a single freeserve account? Why not forward each account to separate POP accounts? If the ISP forwarding the mail is incapable of offering this service there are plenty of ISP's who will. It's a simple MX record change in your DNS setup. The ISP doesn't even have to be in the UK since your POP client does not care where it connects to.

For example we are in the UK but have an account (DataBee.com) which for about $10 US per month provides a fast web server on the US backbone, multiple independent pop accounts and also the ability to have anything addressed to an unknown user at the DataBee.com domain end up in a single account. (This will be important as you want to be able to funnel the mail addressed to people who have left your organization into a single account).

I suggest re-visiting your problem and seeing if you can simplify it at the source - the mail sifter idea will work - but it seems to me you are introducing expensive and possibly unecessary complexity.

Regards
Dale

The Freeware DBATool: The easy way to generate the DDL re-creation scripts for your Oracle database + DDL to HTML conversion for instant documentation. http://www.DataBee.com/dt_home.htm Received on Mon Nov 11 2002 - 06:23:33 CST