Re: I want to be oracle master.

From: Jeremy Russell <faked_at_spam.me.not.com>
Date: Wed, 06 Nov 2002 17:05:07 GMT

On Wed, 06 Nov 2002 16:47:46 GMT, Daniel Morgan <dmorgan_at_exesolutions.com> wrote:

>ITWOLF wrote:
>
>> Hello,
>>
>> I'm a 30 years old IT engineer with 3 years experience in nokia
>> switching platform doing SW integration for dx200. Anyway currently
>> I'm in UK and I'm not working and frankly I CAN't FINAD A JOB AND
>> THAT'S MAKE ME FEEL TIRED. No one need my experience. And all what I
>> see is oracle job add are every where. Now I tried to look how I can
>> study oracle but it cost a lot for only few days course, University's
>> just forget about it, I need skill and not papers.
>> Anyone can tell where and how to get the bloody skills of oracle.
>> Thanks and I hope you can help.
>>
>> Lost Wolf
>
>Don't so quickly dismiss universities. I can not speak for all of them.
>In fact I can't speak for any other than my own. But to me the sheepskin
>is far less important than the skills. Not one of my students graduates
>without skills sufficient to walk into any company, sit down at any
>workstation, and analyze business problems and solve them using Oracle
>PL/SQL.
>
>Daniel Morgan
>http://www.extension.washington.edu/extinfo/certprog/oad/oad_crs.asp

Daniel, I'm sure you do indeed produce a great crop of grads ... in the UK, I taught graduates at some of the major consultancy outfits - all nice and smart in their first shiny Armani suits, leather briefcases etc etc - and absolutely no clue about business requirements whatsoever.

I'm as pissy as the original poster - I'm not the greatest DBA / web developer/designer / programmer / businessman on the market - *BUT* I do have some of these skills - in all of the above areas and way more - yet, for nine months I've been unable to even get interviewed by anyone except the agency barrier people - no sniff of a real hirer, either in the US (I lived in PA till June - I love DC!) or in the UK (British born and bred).

Education is a great thing - practical expertise counts also - but right now, you could be Brainiac, Mr. Universe, Bill Gates all rolled together - work for 28 hours a day *and* pay mill-owner for permission to come to work (Python - sorry, off at a tangent again) and still not get a job.

Industry and service co's aren't recruiting - no-one is changing jobs - and therefore .... we have stagnation.

I'm considering myself as semi-retired - and I've got three years to go till the big 5-0.

At least with depression, you get caught up on your sleep! Received on Wed Nov 06 2002 - 11:05:07 CST