Re: Oracle Cluster Best Practices

From: Pete Sharman <peter.sharman_at_oracle.com>
Date: 4 Nov 2002 17:33:25 -0800

In article <357ac6ad.0211041540.5e2a82c0_at_posting.google.com>, jcq101_at_yahoo.com says...

>Is there a "Best Practice" to follow concerning Oracle and clustering.
> Currently we are using VCS trying to cluster a box running one Oracle
>engine and multiple instances. This is not working well. Is it best
>to cluster a box running one Oracle engine and one instance?, or is
>the multi-instance thing ok? Also, is VCS the best solution?
>

>TIA
>
>James Qualls

Boy, you could right a book on this one (which I've actually thought of doing myself, but I won't here!). But before your questions can be answered, you need to answer some questions from me. WHat is your downtime ability? Can you handle 20 - 30 minutes of downtime if the system crashes, or do you need it up and running much faster than that? Also, are you running one or more databases in this environment?

HTH. Additions and corrections welcome.

Pete

SELECT standard_disclaimer, witty_remark FROM company_requirements; Received on Mon Nov 04 2002 - 19:33:25 CST