Re: Oracle Cluster Best Practices

From: Howard J. Rogers <howardjr2000_at_yahoo.com.au>
Date: Tue, 5 Nov 2002 12:20:15 +1100

<jcq101_at_yahoo.com> wrote in message
> Is there a "Best Practice" to follow concerning Oracle and clustering.
> Currently we are using VCS trying to cluster a box running one Oracle
> engine and multiple instances. This is not working well. Is it best
> to cluster a box running one Oracle engine and one instance?, or is
> the multi-instance thing ok? Also, is VCS the best solution?

Not entirely sure what you're talking about, James, when you talk about an 'Oracle Engine'. And not entirely sure either how you go about clustering "a" box... clustering means linking together multiple boxes.

Can you clarify your hardware setup?

If you have two machines, each running several instances managing separate databases, all housed on the shared disks, then that's a bad idea. Not that it won't work, but if you have a machine failure, the remaining machine has to handle the demands of ALL the instances on all the databases. It's probably going to get heavily overloaded, and at that point you might just as well not have bothered clustering in the first place: high availability means nothing much unless it means 'high availability with reasonable performance in all failure scenarios".

I'm not sure if there are any official recommendations, but the unofficial one is most definitely one machine-one instance.

Regards
HJR