Re: Large # Items in IN () Very Slow

From: Daniel Morgan <dmorgan_at_exesolutions.com>
Date: Wed, 30 Oct 2002 16:19:16 GMT

"Jonathan D. Trumbull" wrote:

> Pablo Sanchez <pablo_at_dev.null> wrote in message
>
> > That's a bit ... absurd! <g> What seems to be happening is that you
> > have a full in-memory tablescan.
> >
> > Have you considered bulk loading the data into a 'scratch' table, then
> > doing a join back to SomeTable? I suspect it'll be tons faster!
> >
> > Thx!
>
> Unfortunately, it is not me who is generating the SQL. We are using a
> third party tool that sits on top of the DB. It generates this
> monster....
>
> --Jonathan

If I understand your situation correctly you can not modify the SQL. So what you get is what you get. But here are a few thoughts.

  1. How efficient are your indexes?
  2. How current are your statistics and are they being created for both tables and indexes?

Daniel Morgan Received on Wed Oct 30 2002 - 10:19:16 CST