Re: partitioning

From: Jusung Yang <JusungYang_at_yahoo.com>
Date: 28 Oct 2002 10:53:09 -0800

It is mostly true. CBO is "partition aware" and so can take advatage of the partition elimination feature. However, the performance benefits gained from breaking up an big object into smaller pieces and placing them on everal physical devices is not limited to CBO, of course. With RBO, you can do that without partitioning - basically create a union view on several smaller tables. Partitioning just makes it easier for you.

Performance is just one of the benetifs one gained from partitioning. Both CBO and RBO can benefit from high availability (since partition can be managed individually) and ease of administration with partitioining.

That said, it is likely nobody will be talking about RBO anymore in the not too distant future. So the whole discussion may become moot..