Re: Perspective Oracle DBA

From: Mark D Powell <Mark.Powell_at_eds.com>
Date: 25 Oct 2002 12:46:59 -0700

aphlix <noone_at_nowhere.com> wrote in message news:<ND6u9.92892$qM2.27420_at_sccrnsc02>...
> I have a question for everyone. I am about to attend a 6 month course at SMU
> for UNIX Admin/Oracle DBA. Basically they teach the first 5 tests for
> Oracle DBA certification (forgive me if I sound like I don't know what I am
> talking about because I don't know a thing about oracle). After I take this
> course, what do you suppose my chances of getting a Junior DBA position
> somewhere? (the course are part of the Workforce Development Program from
> Oracle and they exceed the minimums from Oracle)
>
> Thanks

The IT job market is not real strong right now in many if not most parts of the country but by the time you finish this course who can say. The economy can be very different six months from now. A formal program like this administered by a recognized entity like SMU is going to carry some weight and might get you in the door. After that it will depend on your skills selling yourself. Getting in the door will depend on the economy, and your letter writing skills plus a little luck putting your name in front of the right person at the right time.

For every DBA job there are several developer jobs so if your are in the process of retraining you should also look at the developer tracks available to you. Which one you pick should depend on your judgement of demand in the local market where you want to live and work and on your judgement of how well suited your personality is to being a developer or DBA.

HTH -- Mark D Powell -- Received on Fri Oct 25 2002 - 14:46:59 CDT