Re: Recommended way to migrate 8.1.7 -> 9.2

From: Rick Denoire <100.17706_at_germanynet.de>
Date: Fri, 25 Oct 2002 00:47:53 +0200

Daniel Morgan <dmorgan_at_exesolutions.com> wrote:

>8.1.7 to 9.2 is not a migration ... it is an upgrade. And I can't
>imagine a more difficult way to approach it other than typing it all in
>again. Exporting a datbase may sound easy when dealing with a few
>megabytes. But no one is exporting terabytes.

Well, die DB will go from Solaris 2.7 on a Sun E3500 to a Linux/Dell (Intel) platform, as well as from 8.1.7 to 9.2 Is not that a migration?

>Why not just use the procedure recommended by Oracle and upgrade the
>database in situ?

Do you mean a parallel installation of the binaries? Does this recommended method take care of the environment variables? Which is going to be the ORACLE_HOME after this procedure?

Thanks again
Rick Received on Thu Oct 24 2002 - 17:47:53 CDT