Re: Recommended way to migrate 8.1.7 -> 9.2

From: Daniel Morgan <dmorgan_at_exesolutions.com>
Date: Wed, 23 Oct 2002 15:46:13 GMT

James Williams wrote:

> On Wed, 23 Oct 2002 00:51:54 +0200, Rick Denoire
> <100.17706_at_germanynet.de> wrote:
>
> Download the Oracle Migration utility.
>
> You got
>
> Export/import - depends on size
> odma - migration assistant (GUI).
> Upgrade scripts - do manually what the GUI does..
>
> >Hello
> >
> >In updating Oracle from version 8.1.7-3 to 9.2, which is the
> >recommended way to do it? Export/Import? Is there a migration tool?
> >Any reference to a Web document on this issue would be appreciated.
> >
> >Thanks
> >Rick

8.1.7 to 9.2 is not a migration ... it is an upgrade. And I can't imagine a more difficult way to approach it other than typing it all in again. Exporting a datbase may sound easy when dealing with a few megabytes. But no one is exporting terabytes.

Why not just use the procedure recommended by Oracle and upgrade the database in situ?

Daniel Morgan Received on Wed Oct 23 2002 - 10:46:13 CDT