Re: Help

From: Karsten Farrell <kfarrell_at_medimpact.com>
Date: Tue, 22 Oct 2002 20:33:50 GMT

Haoyu Zhou wrote:
> I am installing oracle 8i on Solaris 2.7. Concerning about unix
> system security, I closed some default accounts: lp,uucp,nuucp,noaccess
> and default groups: uucp,mail,lp,nuucp,sysadmin,noaccess,nogroup.
>

> When I installed the Enterprise Edition, during the database creation
> phase, an error was prompted that: "ORA-12560: TNS adapter error". I
> couldn't succeed then from this point.
>
> I wonder if the close of some accounts and groups plays a role partially
> in the failure. What is the real reason? How should I fix it?
>
> Attached is the tnsnames.ora file.

[removed - nothing unusual in it]

Unfortunately, the ORA-12560 is one of those "generic" errors that doesn't tell you much about what's going on. But rest assured, it has nothing to do with the accounts/groups you disabled for security reasons (since you didn't remove 'oracle' or the 'dba' group). It just happened to coincide with your database creation.

Some of the things that can generate this error are:

  1. Attempting to install as root user (do it as oracle user).
  2. Not having ORACLE_SID set correctly (specified in one of the dialog boxes when installing). You should see 'BB' if you echo $ORACLE_SID.
  3. Listener cannot start a process to establish a connection to client. This can be anything from file/directory permissions to a faulty listener.ora file. See Chapter 10 (Troubleshooting Net8) of the Oracle Net8 Administrator's Guide.