Re: moving to Oracle need recomendations...

From: Bill Lucas <WCLucas_at_coolblue.com>
Date: Tue, 15 Oct 2002 18:31:44 GMT

I believe I will be doing just that next month but I would like to be as primed for the training as possible. Whatever I know going in would be a plus I would think.

--
Have fun,
Bill Lucas
"TurkBear" <john.greco_at_dot.state.mn.us> wrote in message

> If your employer really wants you to be any good at this, have them
send you to Oracle Training..Reading the manuals and
> other books can only take you so far..
> ( Also, it will help you forget SqlServer concepts and code,since
they will only hinder your changeover)

> "Bill Lucas" <WCLucas_at_coolblue.com> wrote:
>
> >I have already found the Concepts manual referred to in this news
> >group, but I was wondering if more targeted information might be
> >available for my particular situation. I have been an MS DBA for
the
> >last two years, and our company has recently released a SQL Server
> >version of our application. Due to high customer demand we are
> >getting ready to port our application for an Oracle 8i back end. I
am
> >digging through the concepts manual and starting to familiarize
myself
> >with the differences in nomenclature and structure. I will need to
> >move on to some administrative stuff so I can come up to speed on
> >Administrative tasks, Enterprise Manager and other such things.
> >
> >I was hoping someone here might be able to recommend additional
texts
> >to help me in the following areas.
> >
> >1. Administer Oracle and configuring Enterprise Manager
> >2. Porting T-SQL Code to PL/SQL
> >3. Returning Result sets in explicit XML Format (our middle tier
> >consumes XML which is then returned to the client)
> >4. General Security information especially in regards to Windows NT
> >Security integration.
> >
> >Our Target Network for this application is an NT 4 / 2000 domain
with
> >ORACLE Running on UNIX or NT Server. With at least one Windows
2000
> >Server to handle IIS and COM+ for our middle tier.

> http://www.newsfeed.com The #1 Newsgroup Service in the
World!
Servers =-----