Re: Oracle 8i Standby Complete Recovery

From: Niall Litchfield <n-litchfield_at_audit-commission.gov.uk>
Date: Tue, 15 Oct 2002 16:20:35 +0100

"Richard Foote" <richard.foote_at_bigpond.com> wrote in message news:Q3Vq9.53472$g9.155486_at_newsfeeds.bigpond.com...
> 1) Move to 9i and make use of Data Guard which through the use of the LGWR
> process being used to transport redo to the standby DB, can guarantee no
> loss of data. The cost of this is probable performance loss on the Prod DB
> but there are various options/settings that can be used to "balance"
> performance/protection as appropriate.

As did Ronald. You should also do a cost benefit analysis of how much you care about that 4 minutes worth of data in the case of your 'disaster'. Lets assume that your datacentre has been wiped out by some actual disaster (say a terrorist attack because you work for a defence agency). This attack has also taken out your data management staff. Which is going to cost your business more 4 minutes of data or the loss of the staff and facilities?

A more reasonable cost/benefit analysis might say using dataguard (or some other 100% availability technology) costs us a 5% performance hit for every moment the system is running. Do we think that this is worth it to ensure we really, really don't ever lose any data. Then of course there is the question as to how much of your data is accurate in the first place :(.

I think what I am saying is to get say 5 9's availability costs big time. The question is is it worth it.#

--
Niall Litchfield
Oracle DBA