Re: Oracle 8i Standby Complete Recovery

From: Richard Foote <richard.foote_at_bigpond.com>
Date: Wed, 16 Oct 2002 00:01:38 +1000

Hi Chris,

With 8i, this is the big issue with the use of a Standby DB.

If the "disaster" doesn't allow time for a final switch logfile, then yes, potentially data will be lost. In some scenarios, you may have the opportunity for an 'alter system switch logfile' command and the logfile's subsequent archive, in some scenarios you may not.

In a site I have been working at, they issue a log switch every half hour to resync their standby DB to minimise possible data loss.

If this possible data loss is a real issue for you, I would recommend either:

  1. Move to 9i and make use of Data Guard which through the use of the LGWR process being used to transport redo to the standby DB, can guarantee no loss of data. The cost of this is probable performance loss on the Prod DB but there are various options/settings that can be used to "balance" performance/protection as appropriate.

or

2) Hire DBAs who put the well being of the database ahead of personal protection. You need DBAs made of the right stuff, who during an earthquake, rather than flee the building as it comes crashing down and as flames from burst gas pipes engulf the place will think, "Must ... get ... to ... console (cough cough), must ... switch .... logfile ........".

However, I'm a rare breed and option 1 might be the way to go ;)

Cheers

Richard