Re: Installing Oracle on Linux or on Win2k?

From: Jeremy Ovenden <newsposter_at_hazelweb.co.uk>
Date: Mon, 14 Oct 2002 15:29:34 +0100

In article <aoec69$gde$1_at_newsreader.mailgate.org>, ruggero_piccoli_at_tin.it did, with immense forethought and due consideration for the subscribers to this newsgroup, say...
> Hello everybody! This is my first message in the HG.
> I'm sorry if my english isn't very good....I hope you undestand me!!!
> I want to make a server with Oracle DBMS. There are two alternatives:
> using Linux or Windows. For you what is better? Can I use Debian?
> Where can I find any usefull documet about Oracle an Oracle on Linux?
> Thanks a lot
> Rug

Hi Ruggero

If this is just a first installation to test features etc of Oracle, I would favour the Windows route - you will have the easiest installation and everything should just work first time. Whilst I do have experience of installing under Solaris, this seems to require more in the way of environment set-up / prerequisite o/s patches etc.

From what I see on this newsgroup, Linux is fine once you have it up and running but (I think) there are a number of distributions/versions of Linux and which flavour of Linux you choose is probably going to have a big affect on how simple the installation is.

I'm sure some Linux gurus here will tell you what works best for them.

But for a first database, Windows would by my choice.

HTH etc.

--
jeremy