Re: upgrading from 8.1.6 to 8.1.7 using a standby db

From: Sybrand Bakker <gooiditweg_at_sybrandb.demon.nl>
Date: Fri, 11 Oct 2002 00:47:02 +0200

On 10 Oct 2002 14:41:34 -0700, newton_chris_at_yahoo.com (bloodyoath) wrote:

>I'd like to upgrade from a from Oracle 8.1.6 running on Solaris 2.6 to
>Oracle 8.1.7 running on Solaris 8. Here is a snippet from the
>Oracle8i Migration guide that makes me believe I can do this:
>
>"If you are using a standby database, then the primary and standby
>databases must run the same maintenance release of Oracle, and both
>databases must have the same setting for COMPATIBLE initialization
>parameter.
>For example, if your primary database is running release 8.1.7 with
>COMPATIBLE initialization parameter set to 8.1.0, then the standby
>database can run any production 8.1 release, such as release 8.1.5,
>8.1.6, or 8.1.7, as long as it also has COMPATIBLE mode set to 8.1.0."
>
>I've also seen a bunch of postings from between one and two years ago
>that suggest that this is not supported. Has anybody run into any
>gotchas with the process I'm trying to do?
>I did successfully get the 8.1.7 db running in a test environment, but
>I'd like to triple check before I do this with our live db instance.
>I believe the only additional step I need to take once the 8.1.7 db is
>live is to run the 8.1.6 to 8.1.7 upgrade script(U0801060.sql?) Can I
>run this script with COMPATIBLE parameter set to 8.1.6?
>
>thanks for any input,
>Chris Newton

I'm not sure why you would need to use the standby database at all. The only thing you need to do is to install the software in a new Oracle Home and run the upgrade script you mention. This script makes modifications to the dictionary *only*

Regards

Sybrand Bakker, Senior Oracle DBA

To reply remove -verwijderdit from my e-mail address Received on Thu Oct 10 2002 - 17:47:02 CDT