upgrading from 8.1.6 to 8.1.7 using a standby db

From: bloodyoath <newton_chris_at_yahoo.com>
Date: 10 Oct 2002 14:41:34 -0700

I'd like to upgrade from a from Oracle 8.1.6 running on Solaris 2.6 to Oracle 8.1.7 running on Solaris 8. Here is a snippet from the Oracle8i Migration guide that makes me believe I can do this:

"If you are using a standby database, then the primary and standby databases must run the same maintenance release of Oracle, and both databases must have the same setting for COMPATIBLE initialization parameter.
For example, if your primary database is running release 8.1.7 with COMPATIBLE initialization parameter set to 8.1.0, then the standby database can run any production 8.1 release, such as release 8.1.5, 8.1.6, or 8.1.7, as long as it also has COMPATIBLE mode set to 8.1.0."

I've also seen a bunch of postings from between one and two years ago that suggest that this is not supported. Has anybody run into any gotchas with the process I'm trying to do? I did successfully get the 8.1.7 db running in a test environment, but I'd like to triple check before I do this with our live db instance. I believe the only additional step I need to take once the 8.1.7 db is live is to run the 8.1.6 to 8.1.7 upgrade script(U0801060.sql?) Can I run this script with COMPATIBLE parameter set to 8.1.6?

thanks for any input,
Chris Newton Received on Thu Oct 10 2002 - 16:41:34 CDT