Re: Server very slow

From: Howard J. Rogers <howardjr2000_at_yahoo.com.au>
Date: Thu, 10 Oct 2002 06:27:51 +1000

As others have said, "it's slow" doesn't tell us much, and the init.ora is only a tiny part of the equation: we need to know what's happening *internally* when you report slowness.

Have a read up on installing and using STATSPACK (OK, the short answer is connect as sys, run the spcreate.sql script found in the ORACLE_HOME\rdbms\admin directory, and then periodically log on as PERFSTAT, password PERFSTAT and issue the command 'exec statspack.snap'). Make the duration between snaps meaningful (ie, the database is doing some decently-representative work).

Generate a STATSPACK report, and then visit www.oraperf.com to upload it to Anjo's analysis engine (these days, you have to register with the site before you can use it, but it's free). You get a report back within seconds.

If you've not tuned a database before, it can be daunting. But Anjo's site at least gives you somewhere to start.

Regards