Re: JAVA

From: Vladimir M. Zakharychev <bob_at_dpsp-yes.com>
Date: Tue, 8 Oct 2002 12:48:15 +0400

It means that Oracle9i (and 8i) have Java VM inside the database (and thus all standard classes plus compiler) and that JDBC drivers are provided for external Java programs willing to utilize the database. VM inside the db is Java2 1.2 in 8i and Java2 1.3 in 9i. VM allows you to create stored procedures in Java, and a lot more. In 8i, there was support for J2EE inside the db as well, but it is dropped in 9i (and that's actually the right move.) Oracle also suppors native compilation for Java. To find out more: http://tahiti.oracle.com (requires registration on Oracle Technology Network, which is free) - there's a lot of documentation regarding Oracle's support for Java technologies available there.