Re: JAVA

From: dmz17 <dmz17_at_nospam.nowhere.com>
Date: Tue, 08 Oct 2002 08:07:59 +0200

On Mon, 07 Oct 2002 19:24:19 +0000, Stephan wrote:

> Hi,
>
> My JAVA experience:
> I once did make a small JAVA Applet (using a java compiler).
> So the language and it's concept I understand.
>
> But...in relation to the database....:
> Oracle says 9i is JAVA enabled.
> Can someone tell me -in simple words- what that means?
> For example:
> Are the -standard- classes stored in the database?
> I the JAVA compiler in it?
>
> Thanks,
> Stephan

It means two things:

  1. You can run Java against it from the outside using JDBC
  2. You can run Java against it from the inside using JDBC

However, you have to make a few decisions related to architecture. J2EE should be run from outside. Use JServer (The builtin Java Engine) for complex computations where PL/SQL would do a poor job. Use Java Stored Procedures. Use Java wrappers for PL/SQL stored procedures.
Make sure you have as little context switching (switching between Java and PL/SQL in one transaction/program) as possible.

Cheers,

dmz17 Received on Tue Oct 08 2002 - 01:07:59 CDT