Re: Rule Based Optimization Going Away?

From: Jonathan Lewis <jonathan_at_jlcomp.demon.co.uk>
Date: Fri, 4 Oct 2002 08:45:33 +0100

This isn't the way it works - although there are a couple of funny undocumented hints for which this is approximately true.

If you make use of the 10053 trace, you will be able to see that the general strategy is that at each point in its processing, Oracle says:

I am about to do X, is there a hint telling me what I MUST do at this point (and, implicitly, what I therefore may NOT do).

--
Regards

Jonathan Lewis
http://www.jlcomp.demon.co.uk