Re: Rule Based Optimization Going Away?

From: Adrian Bowen <raptor_at_cix.co.uk>
Date: Fri, 4 Oct 2002 07:40:27 +0100

Hi,

Apropos of the RBO/CBO switch, what is the 'approved' method of dealing with queries which involve bind variables when using the CBO? As I understand it the table stats are of no use here, since the bind values are unknown at the time the query plan is formulated by the CBO, so it just assumes (usually wrongly) some value distribution in the column. I know this caused me endless headaches when trying to use the CBO previously, since my application uses bind variables exclusively. I eventually gave up, and structured the queries manually to generate a sensible execution plan under RBO. Adrian Bowen