Re: Rule Based Optimization Going Away?

From: Daniel Morgan <dmorgan_at_exesolutions.com>
Date: Thu, 03 Oct 2002 15:52:06 GMT

Peter Kellner wrote:

> I just was told by an Oracle Consultant that Oracle is planning on
> obsoleting rule based optimization and that in the future sometime,
> everyone will have to use cost based. Could this be true? I have
> always used rule based when I know the distribution of the data pretty
> well ahead of time and can be smarter than the cost optimizer.
>
> Any official Oracle Info on this would be appreciated.
>
> -Peter Kellner

Yes ... and it is about time. The RBO has become about as useful as a buggy whip compared to a decently managed database using CBO.

And I strongly disagree that you are smarter than the CBO. You, for example, can not decide when NOT to use an index.

Time to learn about DBMS_STATS.

Daniel Morgan Received on Thu Oct 03 2002 - 10:52:06 CDT