Re: insufficient privileges as sysdba 8.1.7 on Win2k

From: Alex Ivascu <alex_at_ivascu.comNoSpam>
Date: Thu, 03 Oct 2002 05:38:44 GMT

Okay. If you want your user (yourself) to connect to the local database as sys/internal with the conn / as sysdba command, you need two things. 1. belong to the ORA_DBA group (which you seem to be) 2. enable SQLNET.AUTHENTICATION_SERVICES= (NTS) in sqlnet.ora file

Once you've done that, you 'should' be able to do the following:

a. cmd window
b. set oracle_sid=yourorclsid
c. sqlplus /nolog
d. conn / as sysdba

or
d. conn sys/orapwd as sysdba

You're saying that if you enable it (step 2), you can't connect at all. Please tell us the steps you're taking, commands and error message.

--
Alex Ivascu

"todhsals" <todhsals_at_hotmail.com> wrote in message

> "Howard J. Rogers" <howardjr2000_at_yahoo.com.au> wrote in message
> >
> > "todhsals" <todhsals_at_hotmail.com> wrote in message
> > > I'm really trying to figure out why anything other than connect
internal
> > > will not work to shutdown and startup the database. As I understand it
> > > internal is depreciated. Isn't sysdba necessary to startup and
shutdown?

> > You are right: INTERNAL is the Oracle 7 way of connecting as a
privileged
> > user, and ...AS SYSDBA is the 8.0 and above way of doing the same thing.
> You
> > must be one or the other to do privileged actions.
> >
> > Your particular scenario, I can't work out. You've got a password file
> > (meaning that system...as sysdba should fail unless you've done the
dirty
> > and granted SYSDBA to system), but you also said in your original post:
> >
> > "The OS
> > account I'm using is a domain account the local ORA_DBA and
> > Administrators groups"
> >
> > Noe that's appalling grammar, but never mind: are you saying that the
> > account I've logged onto this Windows box is a domain account, and it
> > happens to be a member of the *LOCAL* ORA_DBA group?
>
> Corrected by appaling spelling, "Noe" ; ) I saw the missing word right
> after I sent it.
>
> Yes, domain user account that is a member of the local group named
ORA_DBA.
> [...]
>

> > If you log onto that box as Domain_Fred and Domain_Fred is a member of
the
> > local ORA_DBA group, then a connect / as sysdba should elicit a
perfectly
> > reasonable connection, and startups and shutdowns should be no problem.
> >

> This was my reading of the docs but it does not work. I have another
> 8.1.7/Win2k box & it works fine.
>
> > O/S group membership always over-rides whatever you may have extant in
> your
> > password file.
> >
> > But it's a LOCAL group, not a domain one, though domain users can be a
> > member of it.
> >
> > My only suggestion to you is: do you want password file authentication,
or
> > O/S authentication?? Pick one and stick with it. If O/S, set
> > remote_login_passwordfile=NONE, set up memberships of the local ORA_DBA
> > group (I tend to find that "Everyone" is a good go when debugging these
> > sorts of things). If you want passwordfile authentication, then get rid
of
> > the ORA_DBA group, create a new password file, make absolutelty sure the
> > remote_login_passwordfile parameter is set to EXCLUSIVE, grant SYSDBA to
> > select few users, and then all should be well.
>
> My reading of the docs is that remote_login_passwordfile has no affect on
> local connections. This seems to be the case on my other 8.1.7/Win2k box.
> From the local console I can connect / as sysdba no password to startup,
> shutdown etc. From a remote box I can shutdown by connect sys as sysdba
with
> the password.
>
> The one difference is that on the system I'm having the trouble with,
> sqlnet_authentication_services is set to none (in sqlnet.ora), if I set it
> to NTS like the working box then I can't connect to it at all. This might
> not be relevant but I thought the problems might be related. Eventually I
> need to get OS auth working for users so I need to solve this part as
well.

> > This ain't rocket science. Be clear in what you want to achieve, then
make
> > sure the various settings are appropriate to the need.
> >
> > Regards
> > HJR
> >

> > > Just to add to my original post, the password file was recreated with
> > orapwd
> > > & nothing changed. The password file is being used when I connect
> > internal.
> > > I'm prompted for a password & it only works with the correct password.
> > >

> > PS... Did you re-grant SYSDBA to the relevant users? It's only that
which
> > transfers their data dictionary entries into the password file.
> >

> Yes & v$pwfile_users shows sys and system as sysdba.
>

> > > Thanks,
> > > Tod
> > >

> > > "Howard J. Rogers" <howardjr2000_at_yahoo.com.au> wrote in message

When