Re: insufficient privileges as sysdba 8.1.7 on Win2k

From: todhsals <todhsals_at_hotmail.com>
Date: Thu, 03 Oct 2002 04:20:21 GMT

"Howard J. Rogers" <howardjr2000_at_yahoo.com.au> wrote in message news:k6Pm9.45140$g9.128706_at_newsfeeds.bigpond.com...

> "todhsals" <todhsals_at_hotmail.com> wrote in message
> > I'm really trying to figure out why anything other than connect internal
> > will not work to shutdown and startup the database. As I understand it
> > internal is depreciated. Isn't sysdba necessary to startup and shutdown?
>
> You are right: INTERNAL is the Oracle 7 way of connecting as a privileged
> user, and ...AS SYSDBA is the 8.0 and above way of doing the same thing.
You
> must be one or the other to do privileged actions.
>
> Your particular scenario, I can't work out. You've got a password file
> (meaning that system...as sysdba should fail unless you've done the dirty
> and granted SYSDBA to system), but you also said in your original post:
>
> "The OS
> account I'm using is a domain account the local ORA_DBA and
> Administrators groups"
>
> Noe that's appalling grammar, but never mind: are you saying that the
> account I've logged onto this Windows box is a domain account, and it
> happens to be a member of the *LOCAL* ORA_DBA group?

Corrected by appaling spelling, "Noe" ; ) I saw the missing word right after I sent it.

Yes, domain user account that is a member of the local group named ORA_DBA. I'm quite certain the group was created by the install process because even the description line exactly matches the group description on functional box I installed myself & the group was created by the installer.

> If you log onto that box as Domain_Fred and Domain_Fred is a member of the
> local ORA_DBA group, then a connect / as sysdba should elicit a perfectly
> reasonable connection, and startups and shutdowns should be no problem.

This was my reading of the docs but it does not work. I have another 8.1.7/Win2k box & it works fine.

> O/S group membership always over-rides whatever you may have extant in
your
> password file.
>
> But it's a LOCAL group, not a domain one, though domain users can be a
> member of it.
>
> My only suggestion to you is: do you want password file authentication, or
> O/S authentication?? Pick one and stick with it. If O/S, set
> remote_login_passwordfile=NONE, set up memberships of the local ORA_DBA
> group (I tend to find that "Everyone" is a good go when debugging these
> sorts of things). If you want passwordfile authentication, then get rid of
> the ORA_DBA group, create a new password file, make absolutelty sure the
> remote_login_passwordfile parameter is set to EXCLUSIVE, grant SYSDBA to a
> select few users, and then all should be well.

My reading of the docs is that remote_login_passwordfile has no affect on local connections. This seems to be the case on my other 8.1.7/Win2k box. From the local console I can connect / as sysdba no password to startup, shutdown etc. From a remote box I can shutdown by connect sys as sysdba with the password.

The one difference is that on the system I'm having the trouble with, sqlnet_authentication_services is set to none (in sqlnet.ora), if I set it to NTS like the working box then I can't connect to it at all. This might not be relevant but I thought the problems might be related. Eventually I need to get OS auth working for users so I need to solve this part as well.

> This ain't rocket science. Be clear in what you want to achieve, then make
> sure the various settings are appropriate to the need.
>
> Regards
> HJR
>

> > Just to add to my original post, the password file was recreated with
> orapwd
> > & nothing changed. The password file is being used when I connect
> internal.
> > I'm prompted for a password & it only works with the correct password.
> >

> PS... Did you re-grant SYSDBA to the relevant users? It's only that which
> transfers their data dictionary entries into the password file.

Yes & v$pwfile_users shows sys and system as sysdba.