Re: insufficient privileges as sysdba 8.1.7 on Win2k

From: Howard J. Rogers <howardjr2000_at_yahoo.com.au>
Date: Thu, 3 Oct 2002 13:29:23 +1000

"Rauf Sarwar" <rs_arwar_at_hotmail.com> wrote in message news:92eeeff0.0210021908.1aafc164_at_posting.google.com...
> > Use oradim to drop the Oracle Windows service
> > Delete the password file PWD<sid_name>.ora
> > Recreate the Oracle Windows service with oradim
> >
> > That should do it unless somehow you have been playing around in the
> > registry and dropped the pointer to the password file.
> >
> > Daniel Morgan
>

> You can also just recreate the password file using orapwd.
> 1) Shutdown database as internal from svrmgrl
> 2) Delete old PWD<SID>.ora file
> 3) orapwd file=%ORACLE_HOME%\database\pwd<sid>.ora password=xxxxxx
> 4) Start database as internal from svrmgrl
> 5) grant sysdba to system;

Ye Gods! Why Oh Why would you want to grant sysdba to SYSTEM???? When you connect system....AS SYSDBA, you are actually logged on as SYS. Half the things you then proceed to do are never replicable via export/import (just for starters).

PLEASE don't suggest we all connect as SYS. It's extremely bad news, and very bad practice.

Don't do it.

Regards
HJR