Re: Does anybody really use Oracle 8i on Win2k?

From: Jim Kennedy <kennedy-family_at_attbi.com>
Date: Tue, 01 Oct 2002 14:20:02 GMT

I worked at a place where we were able to get 1,500 concurrent users with a well behaved application on NT.(bind variables, cursor reuse, mainly well tuned queries, array interface - we were using oci) we could not get more due to a limitation in NT with the number of threads per process. We did have a lot of spindles and controllers. Whether or not NT is as stable as Unix is an entirely different question. In our case that's what customers wanted as a choice for an OS (along with Solarias, HPUX, AIX etc.). Yes, in general the UNIX OS seemed to handle the same load better, but NT did work. This was on 7.3.4.
Jim

"A. Fox" <afox.nospam_at_rogers.com> wrote in message news:Tfhm9.114122$q41.59828_at_news02.bloor.is.net.cable.rogers.com...
> First off, thanks to Thomas for the reply with an actual link. To answer
his question, yes I read the Admin Guide, and still looking
> for more. I took a course some time ago on Oracle 7 administration on NT,
and it was full of useful tips that cannot be found in the
> Guides. With 8i and W2K, I suspect there are changes from what I learned 5
years ago.

> Secondly, I did not intend my post to trigger a discussion on the
viability of large DBs on NT. In my situation it's a done deal.
> That said, I still do feel sceptical about NT as a platform, and this is
the reason I am trying to gather information about making
> the best out of it. The server is 4 processors with 4Gb of RAM and an
external disk array. I found NT mentioned in the general RAID
> articles, and some memory tuning info in the Guide, but if anybody has any
additional info on the subject I would appreciate a