Re: Does anybody really use Oracle 8i on Win2k?

From: tingl <tlam15_at_hotmail.com>
Date: 1 Oct 2002 08:27:29 -0700

"Jonathan Lewis" <jonathan_at_jlcomp.demon.co.uk> wrote in message news:<anbl8q$so2$1$8302bc10_at_news.demon.co.uk>...
> Comments in line.
>
> --
> Regards
>
> Jonathan Lewis
> http://www.jlcomp.demon.co.uk
>
> Next Seminar dates:
> (see http://www.jlcomp.demon.co.uk/seminar.html )
>
> ____USA__________November 7/9 (MI), 19/21 (TX)
> ____England______November 12/14
>
> The Co-operative Oracle Users' FAQ
>

> tingl wrote in message ...
> >Connor McDonald <connor_mcdonald_at_yahoo.com> wrote in message
> >>
> >> Running SAP on Win2K, user base about 2000, concurrent users about 300,
> >> concurrent db connections (since SAP pools them) about 100.
> >>
> >> No problems - runs an absolute treat.
> >>

> This seems to have achieved a reasonable degree of scalability - and
> running SAP, too !
>

> >> The real importance is the gear you buy. I have no doubt that if we
> >> were running Unix on the gear we've got, it would probably be faster,
> >> but the Win2k has been up since about July - no reboots, crashes
> >>

> Clearly a guy who knows how to get Oracle to work well.
>

> >I would not recommend running a 500GB database on W2K for three reasons.
> >
> >1. Scalability
> >2. Scalability
> >3. Scalability
>
> Funny, I would have said that 300 concurrent users through 100 pooled
> connections showed a reasonable degree of scalability. Maybe if the
> 500 GB is distributed over enough spindles there won't be a problem.
> And if he puts it on just 8 spindles it will be a problem whatever O/S
> he uses.
>
> Frankly, I wouldn't put in a comment like yours without some concrete
> backup as a response to some real-life statistics that prove you fairly
> close to wrong.

First of all, number of concurrent users does not necessarily show scalability.
There are other variables in the equation as well. Assuming you are running 32-bit Intel platform, your SGA size can be at most about 3G which is a major limitation for large databases. Of course, you can opt for 64-bit, but Itanium systems are still very expensive and largely unproven at this point. Is 64-bit W2K even ready yet?

If you think 3G of SGA is enough for your 500G database and future growth, by all means go with 32-bit Wintel. Otherwise industrial-strength UNIX is the best choice. Received on Tue Oct 01 2002 - 10:27:29 CDT