Re: What Use is OCP? Plenty!

From: Nick <nick_hobbs_at_hotmail.com>
Date: 1 Oct 2002 04:07:16 -0700

Ah great another OCP bashing thread, must get in on this one.

I am currently taking 8i OCP. Why? because I want to learn more about the product than I would during day to day activity at my current (rather basic) site. My company won't pay for training and with a wife and kid ('min high maintenance) I can't afford it either. To me the OCP makes sense in that it sets a curriculum of topics that need to be covered to gain a basi understanding of the fundamentals. Which links nicely to the next point.

I agree entirely that OCP is a misnomer. Other vendors are worse with their constant references to "Expert". But I take issue with the term "Novice". Come on, I might be taking OCP to learn but it ain't free and I'm not sure I would be so keen if track name suggested I'd only be able to write a select statement at the end of it. This may be picky, but there's alot in a name.

I would suggest

  1. Changing the track name to something like OC. Fundamentals.
  2. Revamp the exams to remove multiple choice and replace with (at a minimum) "type the answer" responses and preferably some database simulator problems to solve. To conincide with this, bin the badly worded questions.
  3. Provide a little more honest education about the purpose of the track so that the student/employer better understands what they are getting.
  4. Drop the pillock who thought so little of the students/customers that they might think taking a single course (during which time a student could just read his paper) was any reasonable contributing criteria for taking the exam track.

Ahh that's better, nice to get a rant of your chest now and then,

Now then wots this tablespace thingy then?

All the best

Nick Received on Tue Oct 01 2002 - 06:07:16 CDT