Re: Can't reach a new DataBase

From: Vladimir M. Zakharychev <bob_at_dpsp-yes.com>
Date: Tue, 1 Oct 2002 14:45:52 +0400

If your server is behind a firewall or there is some personal firewall on your client PC, and you are running under Windows (and server is on Windows, too), you may be bumping into port redirection: when client connects to the TNS listener on Windows, listener sends a redirection packet that instructs client to connect on different port (and specifies that port.) Client then attempts to connect to that different port and gets blocked by firewall. This issue is due the fact that with Winsock 1 it was not possible to share TCP sockets between different processes. Winsock 2 has this ability, and Oracle 8+ knows how use it, but you need to set special parameter in registry to enable this feature, and restart both the listener and the instance. Create the following string value in registry under HKLM\SOFTWARE\ORACLE: USE_SHARED_SOCKET and set it to TRUE. If you are running in MTS mode, you may need to specify some particular ports in init.ora to lock MTS dispatchers to these particular ports (default is to use any available unprivileged port.) TNSPING succeeds because it only sends a test packet to the listener, receives a reply and disconnects, thus it is not affected by port redirection issue. If you use 8.1.7, you have to update to at least 8.1.7.2 as shared sockets feature was broken in 8.1.7.0 and 8.1.7.1.

hth.