Re: optimal size for rollback

From: Niall Litchfield <niall.litchfield_at_dial.pipex.com>
Date: Mon, 23 Sep 2002 20:42:30 +0100

"Connor McDonald" <connor_mcdonald_at_yahoo.com> wrote in message news:3D8F5F83.7DBD_at_yahoo.com...
> There are some other nice things about smu that simply can't be done
> trivially in old-style rollback. Adding/removing segs on the fly, but
> more significantly, extent stealing, ie one segment to another 'ah,
> you've finished with that extent, I'll nab it'.

This is one of the things that I'm fully prepared to say 'nope don't see how it does that' or more accurately 'Can I be absolutely sure that oracle will never reallocate an extent elsewhere when it shouldn't'. If I can then maybe I'll go with it but its all a bit hocus-pocus to me at the mo.

> My only criticism is basically along the lines of optimal - you don't
> control *when* the shrink occurs. But...this is *not* to say that
> shrinking rollback segs is bad - I just like to do it manually at quiet
> times.

Absolutely thats the only valid criticism of optimal in my book. It can be a bit of a killer criticism though.

!

--
Niall Litchfield
Oracle DBA