Re: optimal size for rollback

From: Jonathan Lewis <jonathan_at_jlcomp.demon.co.uk>
Date: Mon, 23 Sep 2002 21:08:48 +0100

Two options -

  1. Remember that Oracle doesn't discard extents just because they are past their sell-by (undo_retention), smon kicks in from time to time (every 12 hours) and does the equivalent of 'optimal'. So if an extent is freeable and waiting for smon to free it, then it is "safe" for another segment to steal it
  2. An extent isn't past its sell-by, but another segment needs the space. In this case, it isn't "safe" to nab it, but the segment steals it anyway.

If you look at v$undostat, there are various columns there which report the number of times the various extent-related activities have occurred - if you see excessive stealing, you just have to increase the tablespace size (or fix the application).

--
Regards

Jonathan Lewis
http://www.jlcomp.demon.co.uk

Next Seminar dates:
(see http://www.jlcomp.demon.co.uk/seminar.html )

____England______September 24/26, November 12/14

____USA__________November 7/9 (MI), 19/21 (TX)

The Co-operative Oracle Users' FAQ

Niall Litchfield wrote in message
<3d8f6ea4$0$1293$cc9e4d1f_at_news.dial.pipex.com>...

>> Adding/removing segs on the
fly, but