Re: optimal size for rollback

From: Karen Abgarian <abvk_at_ureach.com>
Date: Sat, 21 Sep 2002 23:07:09 GMT

> I gave you the technical explanation, and whilst I could give you the
> numbers (as I've done on many occassions in the past), its not actually a
> hard test to set up for yourself: build a 16K rollback segment with optimal
> set to 16K, and update 1000000 rows to force growth. Then update 1000 rows
> to force shrinkage. Do the same thing without optimal. Create the segment in
> both LM and DM tablespace.

I mentioned the extent sizing. How many extents you expect to be purged? Unless you really create rollback segments with 8K extents and have it allocate thousands of extents. Can this be more than a few dozen in practice?

When a shrink happens, the majority of work that needs to be done by Oracle is to update fet$ and uet$ on dictionary managed tablespaces. There are good chances
that contents of these tables will be cached. If so, Oracle will have to do a few
operations in memory. Even if it needs to go to disk, we are talking about reading a
few blocks. Without getting into too many details, there is also internal locking for
fet$/uet$, this should depend on how actively they are allocating/deallocating. On LMTs
this shrink is to flip the bits in the file header(s).

How many seconds do you expect the above to take, if we assume that the rollback

segments are NOT sized like you suggested for the experiment? A second, two seconds?
What this performance can be dependent on? Any numbers?

Regs
AK Received on Sat Sep 21 2002 - 18:07:09 CDT