Re: shutdown immediate hangs

From: Karen Abgarian <abvk_at_ureach.com>
Date: Sat, 21 Sep 2002 22:30:10 GMT

> Incorrect. What it does is extremely well documented, and can be seen
> clearly enough with various trace files, the alert log, and much else
> besides.
>

> > Again, we can only be guessing what Oracle does,
>
> Why do you make that sort of statement? It might be true for you, but it
> isn't true for me, nor for many of the regular posters here.

I also saw the same trace files and all the sources of information.

In this context, here's what I meant.

You did not write the software and you don't know how things are implemented, unless you run it in debugger. I doubt that you ever did that.

I don't think you will be able to tell how exactly Oracle cleans up the sessions.
If you do, please let me know. Try to use "I know" and "I tested" instead of "I think"..

If you like to think that you perfectly know how it works, please think so.

> Tell that to Oracle, who say not to kill O/S processes.

As you know, Oracle does not recommend killing processes or doing shutdown abort.
Although, when you work with Oracle support, they resort to both all the time.

> You did. You manage your database with methods that are flimsy and
> ill-thought out. You don't seem to have any understanding of the technical
> architecture underpinning the Oracle instance and database, and your
> position is thus based on nothing very substantial.

Think that if you please. It's kind of funny how you jumped to that conclusion.

I am not going to insult you back.

> This appears to be a perennial problem with your recent posts here: they are
> internally self-contradictory, and full of "I thinks" rather than "I know"
> or "I tested...".

It's the way of speaking. I say: "I don't think this is going to work" when you say
something like "You don't have any understanding of what you are doing". Received on Sat Sep 21 2002 - 17:30:10 CDT