Re: multiple schemas per user - possible?

From: <ctcgag_at_hotmail.com>
Date: 19 Sep 2002 14:53:11 GMT

howardjr2000_at_yahoo.com.au (Howard J. Rogers) wrote:
> ctcgag_at_hotmail.com wrote in message
> > "Howard J. Rogers" <howardjr2000_at_yahoo.com.au> wrote:
> > > Not that obvious. How do you propose "maintaining parallel data sets
> > > for the same versions of the tables" with multiple databases?
> >
> > What does that mean?
> >

> Well, since I'm not the original poster, I can only tell you what I
> thought it meant. I imagine it means being able to have a row in a
> table with Fred at a salary of $100, and yet also having the same Fred
> at a salary of $200. Two "sets" of data. One table.

Yes, I'm sorry. Both you and the OP feature 'Roger' prominently in your names and I neglected to notice that you were different people.

> > > If EMP is in both database A and database B, it's not the same table,
> > > is it?
> >
> > That's zen question, not a database question. If both tables were
> > created from the same create script, then the table structure is the
> > same. If you refresh the data from one table to another, then the data
> > will also be the same.
>
> There's a bit more to Oracle than just table structure. Things like
> permissions, for example. Since they are different objects,
> permissions need to be granted twice.

That's why I get impatient calls from our DBA when I make extemporaneous changes to a database without sending him a script. He thinks I'm supposed to make it easy for him to replicate the structure of one database onto another server.

Anyway, I think setting up a test database mimicing the structure of the production one is the obvious way to test new software. Perhaps the administration required to do this isn't simple, but it's still the obvious way to go about doing it.

But I'm focusing on the 'test new software' portion because I understand that part. The parallel data I'm still not sure about, is it the data itself that is parallel--there has to be exactly two entries for every 'primary key' value--or is only the structure holding the data parallel, with the data divergent.

> Maybe not. Only the OP knows!

Yeah, sorry about that.

Xho

                    Usenet Newsgroup Service