Re: multiple schemas per user - possible?

From: Howard J. Rogers <howardjr2000_at_yahoo.com.au>
Date: 19 Sep 2002 03:31:53 -0700

ctcgag_at_hotmail.com wrote in message news:<20020918213004.466$GU_at_newsreader.com>...
> "Howard J. Rogers" <howardjr2000_at_yahoo.com.au> wrote:
> > Not that obvious. How do you propose "maintaining parallel data sets for
> > the same versions of the tables" with multiple databases?
>
> What does that mean?

Well, since I'm not the original poster, I can only tell you what I thought it meant. I imagine it means being able to have a row in a table with Fred at a salary of $100, and yet also having the same Fred at a salary of $200. Two "sets" of data. One table.

> > If EMP is in both database A and database B, it's not the same table, is
> > it?
>
> That's zen question, not a database question. If both tables were created
> from the same create script, then the table structure is the same.
> If you refresh the data from one table to another, then the data will
> also be the same.

There's a bit more to Oracle than just table structure. Things like permissions, for example. Since they are different objects, permissions need to be granted twice.

So, no it's not a Zen question. There are implications for how you administer the thing when you're dealing with two entirely different objects, rather than one.

> > Never mind the same "version of the table".
>
> Apparently you don't want the same "version of the table", you want
> different versions. Are else what are you asking? You want tables
> that are exactly the same (in structure and contents) except that they
> aren't exactly the same?

I think you need to go read the whole thread. In the first place, it's not my requirement. In the second, I think the OP wants to see different versions of the same data within the same table.

Maybe not. Only the OP knows!

HJR