Re: How to create second , third .... instances on Linux RH 7.1 and Oracle 9i

From: Candido Dessanti <termy_at_blunet.it>
Date: Thu, 19 Sep 2002 13:26:34 +0200

Henry wrote:
> Hi All,
>
> I try to create two oracle 9.0.1 databases on Linux RH 7.1, one is 'odb',
> the other 'odb1'. I used database configuration assistant to create them.
> During creations there was no problem. After creation both of them worked.
> But when I shutdown them and tried to restart, I could only start odb1. When
> I tried to start odb, I got ora-01102 error. Even if I shutdown odb1, I
> still couldn't start odb. I checked both init. files, db_name are different,
> one is 'odb', the other 'odb1'. Please help!

Well i guess oracle is using for the startup the same init.ora file it has used for the first database, so the new instance is trying to mount the control files of an already opened database.

try this

export ORACLE_SID=odb1

sqlplus /nolog
connect / as sysdba

startup open pfile=[the pfile for the odb1 instance] (you should find it in $ORACLE_HOME/dbs

If the proble persists open the file and check the localtion of the controlfiles...maybe it's wrong Received on Thu Sep 19 2002 - 06:26:34 CDT