Re: Oracle connection through ASP

From: Marco Blanco <mblanco_at_performance2000.net>
Date: Thu, 19 Sep 2002 13:33:05 +0200

Hi.
Error 12154 means ..."TNS. Could not resolve service name". That means you haven't got an entry named myDataSource in the TNSNAMES.ORA file pointing to your database server.

Then you must check.

1º ORACLE_HOME system environment variable has been defined right. 2º If you have set a system environment variable called TNS_ADMIN then you must have a TNSNAMES.ORA file in this directory. 3º Check you have an entry in the correct TNSNAMES.ORA that points to your database server.
4º Test conectivity from the command line executing the next sentence.

TSNPING myDataSource.

But a quicker workaround, I use to put the connect string without aliases, Because I can develop asp pages, but I can not touch any configuration in the production environment.

Then try this.

<%
strConnect = "Provider=MSDAORA;User ID=YOURUSERNAME;Data Source=(DESCRIPTION=(ADDRESS=(PROTOCOL=TCP)(HOST=THEHOSTWHEREYOURDATABASEIS) (PORT=THELISTERNERPORT))(CONNECT_DATA=(SID=YOURDATABASESID)));Persist Security Info=False;password=YOURPASSWORD" Set objRS=CreateObject("ADODB.Recordset")

objRS.activeconnection=strConnect
objRS.source= "select sysdate from dual"
objRS.open

.... your code ...
%>

Look that this connect string uses the SQLNet complete string reather than the alias.
If you use other protocol, use your SQLNET connect string.

Hope this helps.

Marco.

"Ruud" <gururuud_at_hotmail.com> wrote in message news:4db2e9a.0209190222.1db59b55_at_posting.google.com...
> Hello,
>
> I'm using an ASP script to connect to an ORACLE database. I'm trying
> to connect with the following script:
>
> <%
> Set cnnOracle = Server.CreateObject("ADODB.Connection")
> strConn = "Provider=MSDAORA.1; Data Source=myDataSource; User
> ID=myUserID; Password=myPassword"
> cnnOracle.Open strConn
> %>
>
> However, i'm receiving the following error message all the time:
>
> Error Type:
> Microsoft OLE DB Provider for Oracle (0x80004005)
> Error while trying to retrieve text for error ORA-12154
> /FundPartners/Corporate/crm/index7.asp, line 8 (LINE 2 IN THE LINES
> SHOWN)
>
> The SQLnet.log gives the following:
>
> Fatal NI connect error 12560, connecting to:

(DESCRIPTION=(ADDRESS=(PROTOCOL=BEQ)(PROGRAM=oracle)(ARGV0=oracleORCL)(ARGS= '(DESCRIPTION=(LOCAL=YES)(ADDRESS=(PROTOCOL=beq)))'))(CONNECT_DATA=(SID=ORCL )(CID=(PROGRAM=C:\WINNT\System32\dllhost.exe)(HOST=EXCHANGE)(USER=IWAM_EXCHA NGE))))