Re: Data Buffer Cache

From: Howard J. Rogers <howardjr2000_at_yahoo.com.au>
Date: Wed, 18 Sep 2002 06:01:20 +1000

I also tell them of the database in Queensland that produces a 500M archive every 7 minutes.

I flatter myself that people don't come out of the classroom until they've got as a complete a picture as it's possible to paint in the time allowed. If you have to switch that frequently, so be it. Just be aware of the costs involved. And if you can avoid switching that frequently, it's generally a good idea to do so, bearing in mind the further potential costs in instance recovery scenarios.

The bottom line I give them is: size your logs so that you end up switching (and hence checkpointing) at a rate you are happy with.

Regards