Re: Data Buffer Cache

From: Howard J. Rogers <howardjr2000_at_yahoo.com.au>
Date: Tue, 17 Sep 2002 19:12:01 +1000

"Ricky Sanchez" <rsanchez_at_more.net> wrote in message news:3D863217.E4AF8535_at_more.net...
> Howard-
>
> Do you mention the concomitant increase in recovery time when you
> suggest huge redo logs? Or do you find that not to be a concern for
> customers?

Yeah, I get them to work out what the trade-off is for themselves. After that, it's up to them. I tend to suggest that with redundant power supplies, UPSes and a decent operating system (cue the Microsoft jokes!) that the risks of Instance failure can be over-weighted. But ultimately it's their call.

I also tell them of the 'one switch per hour' school of DBAing, so they get both sides.

Regards
HJR