Re: memory leak and event 10262

From: Ricky Sanchez <rsanchez_at_more.net>
Date: Mon, 16 Sep 2002 19:42:33 GMT

Clueless-

Memory leaks happen for a variety of reasons. Minor bug, typically. Probably nothing to worry about. But, even a small leak of just a few bytes per transaction can add up for a persistent connection.

What is being reported here is a difference in memory allocation between logon and logoff for the session's process memory. Some small chunk of memory allocated for some operation simply did not get released to the operating system properly. At session logoff, all the memory for the process gets released, so a small "leak" is no big deal. The event setting just suppresses the error message for small amounts of memory.

  1. How long was this session connected? It leaked a total of 688 bytes for that period. If it was an app server connected for a week or so, then this is definitely no big deal.
  2. What version of Oracle is this? Might be a known bug for which a patch exists.
  3. Go ahead and set the event parameter. If you have a bigger leak than 4k, it will then get reported and you can log a tar, investigate further.
    • ricky