Re: BLOBs from Oracle to MS Sql server

From: Niall Litchfield <niall.litchfield_at_dial.pipex.com>
Date: Fri, 13 Sep 2002 09:17:23 +0100

"Zbrk" <zivjeli_at_veselili.se> wrote in message news:als1at$aqk10_at_ns4.bih.net.ba...
> Hi guys
>
> Thank you a lot for answering. I have posted this issue on many forums and
> you are the first with answers.
>
> Niall Litchfield wrote
>
> > > The easiest way I can think of is to write a client app that does
 this -
> > > pushing and pulling the blobs.
>
> Do you know is it possible to do this using PL/SQL stored procedures.

I did know that but I didn't actually write the lines you attribute to me. especially as the idea of me writing any pascal/delphi is laughable :(. The trouble is how do you call the stored procedures from SQLServer.

<snip Delphi questions which I am unable to answer>

> > I'd use DTS (so it can be scheduled etc etc). isn't there an Oracle
> > feature/option/product called generic connectivity though?
>
> What is DTS ? There is an option in Oracle for passthrough SQL called
> Transparent gateway but it is licenced seperaterly and price is $15000.

Ah Transparent Gateway must have been what I had in mind. DTS is Data Transformation Services and is a Tool that comes with Sql Server. It will pull the data from (or push to) any OLEDB data source to any other OLEDB Data Source. Thus you'd set up a DTS package pulling from an OracleOLEDB source and putting it into you target data source doing any necessary transformation work along the way. DTS is documented in the SQL Server Books Online (or you could just use the export/import wizard to get started). It has the advantage over the client app idea that it is well integrated with the SQL database (and DTS packages can be scheduled as a job etc). It also doesn't cost 15 grand. Received on Fri Sep 13 2002 - 03:17:23 CDT