FRANTIC! ORA-03113 Acessing Specific, Random Tables

From: Arielle Smith <smithari_at_hotmail.com>
Date: 3 Sep 2002 22:04:33 -0700

We are getting ORA-03113 errors when trying to change data in specific tables in our Oracle DB and it is never the same table twice. We have an application front end that throws an "Oracle connection lost" error when the user tries to perform certain actions. One day it will be the "data" table, another it will be the "person" table, etc., etc. They can perform actions that result in a select statement against it, but any simple insert, update, or delete boots them out from any client immediately. When I grab the last statement they were processing and plug it into SQLPlus on the server, I get the same error. They can immediately log back in and perform work that updates data in any other table, but consistently get booted every time if they touch the underlying table having problems. Only restarting Oracle cures it. Unfortunately, it is not automatically logged in any trace file or the alert log. We've been rock solid stable for years until just the last few weeks. We upgraded to 8.1.7.1.1 on WIN2K several months ago without incident. Here are the steps I've performed and the results. (Sorry--these steps are all new to me so I don't know what's useful and what's overkill.) I found it really interesting that the ALTER SESSION listed at the end simply just stopped after recording the EXEC statement. One specific question I have is what a "shadow process" is. I've seen it referred to in multiple postings but am completely in the dark. Also, any ideas on other tests I can run to pin it down further? Thank you!:

*****Tested drives and network. All check out clear.

*****Used ANALYZE statement on tables and indexes in question. All
check out clear. Also analyzed ALL tables and indexes in a fit of frustration with same result.

*****Used the client software tracing function (this is where I
discovered the ora-03113 entry:
717393562> SQL HostVar: :hvDEANUMBER =
717393562> SQL HostVar: :hvLICNUMBER = (this was the last value in the insert stmt)
717393859> ERROR: 32786 COULDN'T FIND THE SYMBOL: _MLErrFile (this is specific to the app)
717393906> ORA-03113: end-of-file on communication channel 717393906> ERROR: 32802 ORA-03113: end-of-file on communication channel
ORA-03113: end-of-file on communication channel

*****Set Trace_Level_Client=ADMIN in sqlnet.ora on the client:
nsmal: 420 bytes at 0xafc680
nsmal: 1712 bytes at 0x441b418

nsopen: opening transport...
ntpcon: entry
ntpcon: toc = 1

sntpcall: entry
snlpcss: entry
ntpcon: exit
nserror: nsres: id=0, op=65, ns=12560, ns2=0; nt[0]=530, nt[1]=126, nt[2]=0; ora[0]=0, ora[1]=0, ora[2]=0
nsopen: unable to open transport
nsmfr: 1712 bytes at 0x441b418
nsmfr: 420 bytes at 0xafc680
nladget: entry
nladget: exit
nsmfr: 140 bytes at 0xb1f930
nladtrm: entry
nladtrm: exit
nioqper:  error from nscall
nioqper:    nr err code: 0
nioqper:    ns main err code: 12560
nioqper:    ns (2)  err code: 0
nioqper:    nt main err code: 530
nioqper:    nt (2)  err code: 126
nioqper:    nt OS   err code: 0

niomapnserror: entry
niqme: entry
niqme: reporting NS-12560 error as ORA-12560
niqme: exit

niomapnserror: returning error 12560
niomapnserror: exit
niotns: Couldn't connect, returning 12560
niotns: exit
nigtrm: Count in the NI global area is now 0
nnfgdei: entry
nrigbd: entry
nrigbd: exit
nigtrm: Count in the NL global area is now 0

*****Launched SQLPlus and turned on tracing via ALTER SESSION SET
SQL_TRACE=TRUE and tried to delete row from affected table: Dump file d:\orant\admin\THIS\udump\ORA02212.TRC Tue Sep 03 17:19:04 2002
ORACLE V8.1.7.1.1 - Production vsnsta=0
vsnsql=e vsnxtr=3
Windows 2000 Version 5.0 Service Pack 2, CPU type 586 Oracle8i Release 8.1.7.1.1 - Production
JServer Release 8.1.7.1.1 - Production
Windows 2000 Version 5.0 Service Pack 2, CPU type 586 Instance name: this

Redo thread mounted by this instance: 1

Oracle process number: 16

Windows thread id: 2212, image: ORACLE.EXE