Re: FRANTIC! ORA-03113 Acessing Specific, Random Tables

From: Billy Verreynne <vslabs_at_onwe.co.za>
Date: Wed, 04 Sep 2002 08:30:29 +0200

Arielle Smith wrote:

> We are getting ORA-03113 errors when trying to change data in specific
> tables in our Oracle DB and it is never the same table twice. We have
> an application front end that throws an "Oracle connection lost" error
> when the user tries to perform certain actions. One day it will be
> the "data" table, another it will be the "person" table, etc., etc.
<snipped>

Interesting. I would think that an update or any type of SQL transaction on the dabatase would not result in a lost connection. Heck, if it did, we would all have run into this problem. Right?

So I think you are misdiagnosing the problem. As the error occurs at any time on when hitting any table, it is likely not related to the table or SQL used. If a table is stuffed, Oracle tells you. If your SQL is not kosher (or halaal), Oracle complains.

Okay, so what does ORA-03113 actually mean? It means that for some reason, the TCP/IP connection between the client process and the shadow process on the server, has been closed. AFAIK, this only happens when either the FIN bit is set in the TCP packet, or when the protocol stack "decides" to terminate the connection for whatever reason.

Duplicate IP addresses on your network for example. A badly configured router or gateway. A network that does not conform to ethernet rules (are you running cascading hubs?).

I've also seen ORA-03113's due to buggy protocol stacks. Buggy network drivers.

I would start looking at the physical network first - this is afterall what the ORA-03113 error complains about. Before I go and look at the SQL's that are being run and the tables that are being accessed.

--
Billy