Re: Is this serious?

From: Nuno Souto <nsouto_at_optushome.com.au>
Date: 4 Sep 2002 17:23:55 -0700

Pete Sharman <peter.sharman_at_oracle.com> wrote in message news:<al5i0q01b3h_at_drn.newsguy.com>...

> See Richard's answer. He has the correct terminology there. Just to clarify
> the "Release 1", "Release 2" bit. THe actual versions are:
>
> 8.1.5 - Release 1
> 8.1.6 - Release 2
> 8.1.7 - Release 3
>
> The release number is more a marketing term than anything else.

and it has proven to be more confusing and detrimental to the uptake of 8i than anything else Oracle has done over the years. I sincerely hope whoever the "genius" was behind this Release 1/2/3 for Oracle 8i while calling it 8.1.5/6/7 gets what he/she deserves: a royal boot up the derriere. IME, nothing has caused so much reluctance to take new versions and upgrade to 8.1.7 than this terminology.

There are heaps of sites out there toiling away with 8.1.5 and 8.1.6, buggy as can be, only because they were told that Release 1 was NOT the same thing as Release2 and 3, and therefore potentially incompatible.

Never mind that 99% of the third party applications out there hardly use a set of features of Oracle that would fit Version 7. This "not compatible" mentality has stuck purely because of Oracle marketing's stupidity. And we who have to work around problems in these buggy releases have to put up with this rubbish every single day.

Cheers
Nuno Souto
nsouto_at_optushome.com.au Received on Wed Sep 04 2002 - 19:23:55 CDT