Re: Oracle 9i performance problems ?

From: Vladimir M. Zakharychev <bob_at_dpsp-yes.com>
Date: Fri, 30 Aug 2002 22:30:16 +0400

Your SGA seems to be too big to fit in available RAM, thus you get excessive paging which obviously slows down your system. Additionally, you have only one disk - this doesn't help performance either. Reduce Oracle memory requirements so that it fits completely into those 384 megs or add more RAM to your system (preferred, since memory is really cheap these days). Virtual memory is what it is - virtual - and involves paging out to disk if everything doesn't fit into physical RAM. Since Oracle attempts to cache data it reads from disk in RAM, and it effectively gets paged back to disk because there's not enough physical memory to fit cached data and shared pool - no wonder your system grinds to halt...