Re: Boy, did I have fun or what?...

From: Billy Verreynne <vslabs_at_onwe.co.za>
Date: Fri, 30 Aug 2002 09:14:01 +0200

Nuno Souto wrote:

> Another Dirk the Daring story. I'm getting too old for this...
<snipped>

I prefer Dirk Dickler stories, Nuno... (ever saw that Burt Reynold's movie about the porn industry and its people?) :-)

Oh yeah - the reason for this posting. X-Server on Windows. Crap. Since Windows 3.1 when I first ran X-server software on Windows, to WinXP. Yet to find one that is fast, stable, easy to use and install and configure.

So these last few years I use a 127KB Windows "X interface" - called VNC (Virtual Network Computing) viewer. Friggen kewl stuff. This and VMWare together... huuhhh <doing an imitation of a Homer Drool>

I have VNC Server running on every single HP-UX, XP/NT/2000 and Linux box I look after. VNC Server gives me persistant desktops - which mean I can use X in the office, start a job in hpterm and kill the viewer. At home, dial-in, fire up my viewer from there, connect to the desktop and check how that job in hpterm is doing.

General page:
http://www.uk.research.att.com/vnc/

AIX:
http://ancl.ics.hawaii.edu/docs/aix/vnc-install.html