Re: Oracle Man Page

From: Billy Verreynne <vslabs_at_onwe.co.za>
Date: Fri, 30 Aug 2002 09:24:13 +0200

Paul Brewer wrote:

> Just a thought...
> oracle -f: Could this be the long-sought-after syntax for the fast=true
> option?

Many years ago when men were men, programmers were Real Programmers, and we did not have this de-caf crap.

Booting a mainframe. After the system and console came alive, you ran IPL - the Initial Process Loader. It took about 15 to 30 minutes to bring up the operating system, depending on the hardware and o/s configuration.

IPL had various parameters. This rookie sysadmin heard about a fast-start option for the IPL, making it possible to get the system up and running sooner. One morning he checked the parameters for IPL and saw it has a -f parameter. "Ah" he though to himself "I have found that ellusive fast-start option. Let me try it".

The -f option is what we used back in the factory when we do a first-start of the system. It initialises the whole system. I mean _everything_. Took him one parameter to turn that mainframe into a new born baby.

Took us 3 days to get that mainframe back.

There never really was a fast-start option. You could get it to boot faster by changing some sub-system configs to load after boot and not while boot. That type of thing. :-)

--
Billy