Clustering_factor and performance

From: Carlos Alberto <calberto2312_at_hotmail.com>
Date: 29 Aug 2002 11:42:46 -0700

Hi all,

    I have some very large tables in my database. There are some queries I have to run in these large tables that have a bad performance. Theyīre using the correct indexes, but the data of the column indexed are very scattered (I saw this at clustering_factor in dba_indexes). Is there a workaround to this? I know a possible one is to reorganize the table ordering by this column, but I couldnīt do that, because the other queries on other columns would suffer. I have a simple SELECT to demonstrate this :

select a
from big_table
where b = 10

    Column b is indexed, and itīs selective, but the values are scattered over the table. Iīm using Oracle 8.0.6.3.0.

Thanks in advanced,
Carlos Received on Thu Aug 29 2002 - 13:42:46 CDT